ALUMNI ADVISORY BOARD
The Ohio State Department of Economics Advisory Board held its first meeting October 8-9 at the Ohio Union. The board is the primary alumni service organization for the Department of Economics. Board members serve by invitation of the department chair to provide advice, financial support and outreach opportunities that advance the long-term goals of the department.
The Department formed its Advisory Board in 2015 as part of an effort to re-engage Ohio State alumni and other friends with the department. The department appreciates the willingness of board members to lend their time, knowledge, and financial support to our continuing efforts to improve the Ohio State’s Department of Economics. The Board’s members are alumni of the department who have excelled in a wide variety of careers and pursuits, and who believe that the Department of Economics at The Ohio State University was instrumental in their individual successes. In addition, selected friends of the department who recognize the value of an education in economics will be invited to join. The board has an initial membership of 12, and will grow over time as it becomes more established. The 12 inaugural members are:
Rosa Ailabouni, International Strategy Consultant, Booz Allen Hamilton
John Beavers, Head of INCompliance Consulting, and of-counsel with Bricker & Eckler
Mike Cogan, President Ohio, Northern Trust Co.
Joseph Duncan, retired economist and statistician
Curt Garner, Chief Information Officer, Starbucks
Scott Gledhill, Business owner-operator (Board Chair)
Richard A. Hobbie, retired public policy and government affairs expert
James Lehr Kennedy, Owner-operator, Next Future LLC
Chris Marshall, Executive Vice President and Treasurer, BBVA Compass
Roger Swagler, Professor Emeritus, Housing and Consumer Economics, University of Georgia
Rhett Thurman, Chief Operating Officer, Cain Brothers & Company, New York
Richard (Dick) Willke, Vice President, Outcomes & Evidence, Pfizer, New York City
The Advisory Board for the Ohio State University Department of Economics works in conjunction with the faculty, students and staff of the department and the university to support and strengthen the department’s goals and academic standards while providing advice to the department on how it can better serve its students, the university, the State of Ohio, and the economics profession. Through its partnership, the Advisory Board and the Department of Economics seek to:
· Enhance the experience of undergraduate majors and graduate students while continuing to provide high-quality education in economics for all students
· Strengthen ties between the department and business community, government agencies, academic institutions, and other employers of our graduates
· Build a strong network of alumni and friends who support and collaborate with the department
· Build an internship/placement program that will help the department attract outstanding students
· Provide support and resources for the faculty in their research mission
· Maintain and enhance the national ranking of our graduate program and department
· Strengthen relationships between the department the college and university
Goals and activities of the board may change as the needs of the department change and as the expertise and interests of the board members change. We expect that board members will act as goodwill ambassadors for the department and help the department tap into vital alumni and other resources for the department.