- Increase your chances of being contacted for an interview with the employer
- Expand your network (meet or reconnect with recruiters); Many of the recruiters will be Department of Economics Alumni, too!
- Learn more about the employers and their opportunities
- Many recruiters are happy to share job search advice with you, too!
- Further investigate the many positions or occupations or career fields that you could pursue
What to prepare?
- 30 second pitch/chat
- Practice! Share your chat with your friends, family, the clerk at the grocery store, fellow Career Fair attendees (while waiting in line)
- Sell yourself!
- What to share? A quick summary of your education and experience; this will give the recruiter or hiring manager an idea of your chosen career path
- Prepare a few questions to ask each recruiter; customize them based upon your research of the company
- What to wear?
- Professional attire is always in style for a career event!
- Keep your jewelry and cologne/perfume to a minimum!
- Research Companies that are Registered
- Who are they? (Type of industry; how long have they been active, etc.) This research will help you to create a list of targeted companies which is very helpful for the bigger Career Fairs held on campus.
- Where are they located? (not just HQ; where else might they have openings?)
- What? (product or service)
- When (timeline of company’s growth; future plans for the company)
- Why are they at the Career Fair? (scan the job leads on their careers’ page; create a profile and apply to any positions of interest for which you are a fit; follow-up with the Recruiter/Hiring Manager); create a list of questions regarding the company or a position to which you have applied
What to take?
- Your Resume! Bring along one or two copies (most employers will have more than one recruiter present) to share with each company.
- At this point in your career, recruiters are looking for a one-page document. (If you have two pages, do not sweat it. Try to edit or change the font size, but, not too small!) In addition, at the career event, recruiters may snap a picture of your resume to store in an APP. Most may not be able to store more than one page per recruit.
- Pen and notebook
- Copies of your unofficial transcript (optional)
- Copies of your references (optional)
- Breath mints
- Positive attitude!!!
2017-18 Economics Department Career Events Calendar
2017-18 Career Fairs (On campus)