Networking Your Way to Success
No doubt, you have heard that networking is a great way to land an internship, entry-level position, or an introduction to a company or industry. Not only is this helpful when trying to get your foot-in-the-door or have your resume seen by the hiring manager, it may also help your consideration for a position that has not been posted, yet!
As your network grows, so will your understanding of the many industries, companies, or government agencies in which you have an interest. This will help you define your career goals, get advice, and learn of the realities of your “dream” job, and determine if your skills are a match for those required by the position.
Sources of networking contacts: Alumni, family members, friends, family friends, colleagues, coaches, professionals at companies of interest, those working in your focus industry, and recruiters at career events. You can utilize LinkedIn to keep your contacts organized, too.
Once you have identified a contact, reach out and request a short meeting or phone call. Prepare a list of questions in advance of your meeting! Perhaps the contact might have additional professionals whom you may contact? DO NOT ASK FOR A JOB!!! Be sure to send a thank you email, too!!
Career Search Websites
- www.Idealist.org (non-profit jobs)
- www.USAJobs.gov (Federal Government)
- Wall Street Journal Careers Site (http://www.wsj.com/public/page/news-career-jobs.html)
- www.Dice.com (technical, but, will have analyst positions, as well)
- www.jobs.vault.com (banking and accounting careers)
- New York Times Economy Section (http://www.nytimes.com/pages/business/economy/index.html)
- Wall Street Journal Economy Section (www.wsj.com/news/economy)
- American Economic Association (aeaweb.org) $20 income under 70K
- American Association of Economic Educators (www.aaeteachers.org) $25 student
- National Association for Business Economics (www.nabe.com) $30 student
- Association for Social Economics (www.socialeconomics.org) $25 student
- World Economics Association (www.worldeconomicsassociation.org) $25 student
- National Association of Forensic Economics (www.nafe.net) $80 student membership
- Southern Economic Association (www.southerneconomic.org) $40 student membership
- Agricultural & Applied Economics Association (www.aaea.org) $25.00 student
- American Law and Economics Association (www.amlecon.org) $30.00 student
- Association for Cultural Economics International (www.culturaleconomics.org) reduced fee available 55EUR
- History of Economics Society (www.historyofeconomics.org) $40 (January 2017 will offer student rate)
- Academy of Economics and Finance (www.economics-finance.org)
Most of the people involved with the AEF become members by participating in the annual conference. Your membership is extended by attending the conference. If you wish to join the Academy without going to the conference you may do so by paying an annual membership fee of (USD)$40.00. This fee includes a one year subscription to the Journal of Economics and Finance.
- Undergraduate Economic Society (UES): http://www.uesosu.org
- Omnicron Delta Epsilon (Economics Honors Society): https://economics.osu.edu/omicron-delta-epsilon
- Women in Economics: https://economics.osu.edu/women-economics
- Undergraduate Economics Journal
- Behavioral Economics: https://www.facebook.com/BECatOSU/
- Sports Analytics Association (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Ohio State University Economics Alumni Group: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12035977/ (you must request to join this group)
The Ohio State University Economics Student Group: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12094376/ (request to join this group)
- American Economics Interest Group (https://www.linkedin.com/groups/48465/profile)
- Financial Economics Association (https://www.linkedin.com/groups/1596447/profile)
- Environmental Economics Group (https://www.linkedin.com/groups/1081717/profile)
- Behavioral Economics Group (https://www.linkedin.com/groups/112700/profile)
- Energy Economics and Geopolitics (https://www.linkedin.com/groups/4107653/profile)